Intro

Welcome to my blog! This is a site where you can keep up to date on my life as a full-time athlete in the sport of cross country skiing. You can expect regular updates throughout the year as I report on training, racing, life in general and maybe even some school. Sponsors, family, friends and fans: Enjoy!

Friday, May 23, 2008

Shaved legs, sweltering heat and a Norse Goddess on a bike.

What a weekend! I have spent the last few days training in Grand Forks, BC. It is a quiet little town right close to the Canada/US border that has the most perfectly paved roads and virtually no traffic. Perfect for road biking. With my newly acquired steed in the Devinci CX1, I was ready for a few days of training with some Ironman-ers.

Day 1 was a little intimidating. A 4 hr combo workout, so (1:30 ride, :30 run)x2 in +30 C heat. I got ‘er done though, and had a great time. It was just a matter of remaining hydrated and keeping a controlled training pace that would target in on metabolizing the body’s fat stores and becoming efficient at doing so. The heat was a little much on the run, but I just kept thinking about how humans are the most efficient mammals for endurance in hot temperatures due to our ability to sweat and various other adaptations including our small profile that is exposed to the sun when it’s at its zenith, and this helped me get through. The rides were super fun. It was the Devinci’s maiden voyage, and we had a gooder. Incredible roads in these parts, nice and quiet and smooth.

Day 2 was equally daunting, mostly the fact that it was only riding for 4 hrs. A bit of a shock to the system, cause before this week that’s about the total amount of riding that I have done in the year 2008. Owned it. And apparently looked like a cyclist the whole time… I snapped a spoke though, which sort of sucked cause I had to ride the rest of the day with no front brake and a fairly untrue wheel. Good day though. Good day. Sweet mamma dinner of prime rib afterwards…Good stuff.

Day 3 was a fairly simple day. A little loop that took us about 1:15. First few hills that we have done. This loop would be so sick on rollerskis…except there’s this one property where a headless deer and pack of feral dogs live…but other than that, MONEY rollerski loop. I think I will be back soon.

So that’s what Grand Forks is about. I was known as the rookie northern kid from the north who made outstanding omelettes for breaky. Hope I can make it back some day soon for some big hours on the beautiful roads of GF to chill with the lazy, shaggy pudgeball dogs, and dopy yaks along the flooded river valley…
Ironman Eric and Brent from the GF crew. I learned all sorts of roadie lingo. Like pointing at cracks and rocks on the road while riding in a pack.

Flooded farmland = grumpy Yaks.


Man, I am sure bringing sexyback with the Rudy Masterminds... At least this week i busted out Freeons...


Mere seconds before my spoke snapped.


GF crew member's house. aka "The Lodge". Where dee-lish culinary masterpieces (such as prime rib) would be delivered.

No comments: