Intro

Welcome to my blog! This is a site where you can keep up to date on my life as a full-time athlete in the sport of cross country skiing. You can expect regular updates throughout the year as I report on training, racing, life in general and maybe even some school. Sponsors, family, friends and fans: Enjoy!

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

"The skiers in the West have the right to be a$$holes to Easterners" - Pat O'Brien

For those of you who got pumped with the inspirational post on how good the skiing is in Whistler, I'm sad to inform you that the skiing was very short-lived and the vast amounts of precipitation eventually became rain and all the snow was washed out.  So no more skiing in Whistler.  It is that time of year though, but the zero-ish temperatures have been on the plus side for a while resulting in monsoon season.  

Which brings me to a real update (without pictures though, it was one of those times when you are too preoccupied and pumped to snap some shots).  Yesterday a select few of us West-Coasters made the pilgrimage out to Silver Star.  Jesse, Chris, Pat, Pate, Erik and myself arrived yesterday for some time on snow.  Skied this morning and it was just awesome.  We got a couple inches overnight and then have been getting dumped on all day.  The ski conditions are great all the way around the mountain and we basically have ski in ski out from our condo at Creekside.  Good skis can be used after a short 5 minute walk up from the village (I regret bringing the crappiest of crapper rock skis), and there has to be at least 15 km groomed, classic track included.  It's a huge congregation out here right now.  Most of the National team is out here, some BC devo kids, some BSR and FNSC, and all the regular Silver Star/Sovereign skiers.  The resort is absolutely deserted minus all the xc-ers - sort of a neat feeling to have the whole place to yourself, shared only with like-minded individuals who are both your friends and your competition.

The skiing is great, so all you skiers, get out here!  

2 comments:

Cyrus said...

Good to have you guys in my neck of the woods!

Pat said...

As a life long Easterner I feel compelled to clarify on said post title. After years of defending the East and its lack of snow as good for building character, I have realized that my thinking was fundamentally flawed. Turns out skiing in November is nice. Skiing fresh powder while the sun is shinning in November is almost too much for me to handle. This epiphany might even be more traumatic than learning that Santa Claus doesn't actually come down the chimney at my house. Oh how my world is to change now...