Intro

Welcome to my blog! This is a site where you can keep up to date on my life as a full-time athlete in the sport of cross country skiing. You can expect regular updates throughout the year as I report on training, racing, life in general and maybe even some school. Sponsors, family, friends and fans: Enjoy!

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Season Preview

Comfortable, optimistic, excited...  Call it what you will, I am stoked to get back to racing!  

Having had a relatively injury-free training season, unlike the past two years, I am ready to rip.  Truth be told, I am also starting to get a bit of cabin fever having been cooped up here in Whistler pretty much all fall.  And no, that isn't my sarcastic voice.  Believe it or not, an extended period of time in Whis did in fact wear on me.  I can't wait to hit the road and tour the race circuit.  Even though this fall was a very "productive" training period out of the relaxing atmosphere of my home, this "consistency" would occasionally lean towards monotony.  Looking back now, I think that's exactly what I needed and was completely necessary.  Mentally, it got me into the right frame of mind (pent-up energy), and physically, the regularity of trainings honed the fitness.  The work has been done, now it's time to prove myself.

Although it was a bit of a late start to the ski season here in Whistler, having rollerskied up until mid-November, once the snow came the temps plummeted and there was virtually no form of transition season of snowy/cold rollerskiing.  We were directly immersed into winter and -15 C frigidity (rare for Whis) - we've even had days that remind me of my beginnings in Yellowknife skiing on hard, squeaky styrofoam snow.

Not styrofoam snow.

At the end of November Ski Callaghan was boasting 40km of groomed bliss - likely some of the best skiing in Canada. 

 With the arrival of winter, the Scuzz Pond in our backyard has been transformed into Scuzz Rink and has provided a few great nights of skating.  And by skating I mean "learning" to skate.  It's been about a 17 year hiatus from skating for this kid.  Although, after a 15 minute lesson from coach Manhard, I managed to nail down the basics.  

Action gets underway fast and fierce this weekend in Canmore, AB, at the Alberta Cup races where I will test my grit against tough competition in the skate sprint on Saturday and a classic distance race on Sunday.  The races serve as a warm-up for the following weekends of racing and will help in preparation for my ultimate goal of racing well in Thunder Bay, ON in the new year to qualify for the U-23 World Champs.

Stay posted, racing updates to come...

T


Current playlist (Deadmau5 phase??): 

Toca Me (Deadmau5 Remix) - Fragma
Some Chords - Deadmau5
Longest Road (Deadmau5 Remix) - Morgan Page
Sofi Needs a Ladder - Deadmau5
Sweet Disposition (Morgan Page Remix) - The Temper Trap
Make a Move On Me - Joey Negro
Rapture (Avicii Remix) - Nadia Ali
Fight For You - Morgan Page
Hometown Glory - Adele

No comments: